The Himachal Pradesh University was founded on July 22, 1970. It is located at Summer Hill which is at a distance of 5 kms from the main town, Shimla. The University is nestled amidst tall and lush green trees of deodars, oats, pines and rhododendrons. The location of the University presents a panoramic natural view among the woods, settled around Summer Hill. The camps where one half bathes in the fresh sun towards the east and another half in the grandeur of unique sunset on the West. Overlooking snow peaked majestic mountain ranges add to the lofty ideals and vision of the university. Its salubrious climate and calmness presents congenial atmosphere to pursue higher studies. The University campus occupies an area of 200 acres and has been designed to possess a distinctive architectural style. Himachal Pradesh University is the only multi-faculty and affiliating University in the state. It firmly believes in what India's first Prime Minister Jawahar Lal Nehru said in his oft. Cited convocation address at the University of Allahabad, “A University stands for humanism, for tolerance, for region, for progress, for the adventure of ideas and for the search for truth. It stands for the onward march of the human race towards even higher.
Distinct Features of University
- Accredited by National Assessment & Accreditation Council (NAAC)
- UGC recognized Centre for Excellence in Himalayan Studies
- Pioneered NRI (Self Financing) Scheme
- First to start Distance Education in the country
- Intellectually and Professionally enriched faculty
- HPU Alumni Excelled in All Spheres
- Fair and creditable semester system of examinations
- Special assistance departments of History, Physics, Bio-Technology, Chemistry, Bio-Sciences
- Academic Staff College one of the best in India
- Commendable performance in sports and cultural activities at national level.
- Congenial environment for higher studies
- Substantial number of students qualify NET, GATE and other competitive examinations every year
- Linkages with national and international institutions
- The culture of holding seminars, workshops, conferences, symposia, etc.
- National level achievements in NCC, NSS, youth welfare programmers.
- Free education to girl students.
- One seat reserved in each department for single girl child.
- Impre rich Six-storey Library
- 345 periodicals and journals
- 2,11,685 books
- 600 seating capacity
- Physical Infrastructure
- Teaching Department Blocks multi-story buildings: 12
- Well equipped laboratories, seminar rooms/halls, Cyber Café, computer labs. EPABX, etc.
- Administrative Blocks-2
- Hostel Blocks-16
- Faculty House-1
- Auditorium -1
- Residential facility for teaching and non-teaching employees
- Chancellor (Governor)
- Vice Chancellor
- Registrar, Dean of Studies, Dean
- of Students Welfare, Dean of
- Faculties, Finance Officer,
- Controller of Examinations,
- Planning and Development
- Officer, Directors of Constituent
- units and specialized centers,
- Chief Warden, Chairpersons of
- Departments, Wardens, Librarian,
- Deputy Registrars, Assistant
- Registrars and Assistant
- Commerce and Business
- Dental Sciences
- Life Sciences
- Medical Sciences
- Performing and Visual Arts
- Physical Sciences
- Social Sciences
- To cultivate the spirit of free enquiry, to foster independent and critical thinking, to be a repository of knowledge, to be an instrument of dissemination of knowledge and to promote the traditions, values enshrined in Indian heritage and tradition. To be specific, its purpose is to empower, in particular, the people of Himachal Pradesh, most of whom lives in difficult, remote and tribal areas, through educational processes by undertaking teaching, research and outreach programmes.
- Further, it strives to have a system of higher education rigorously intellectual and socially relevant. It is to inculcate in students values of reason, discipline, democracy, patriotism, respect for differences, rigor, objectivity, professionalism, social responsibility, cooperation, non-violence and perfectionism.
- The University aims at providing opportunity, both through the formal and distance mode, for total quality education to everyone irrespective of gender, race, creed, caste, or class. It is engaged in equipping students with relevant and appropriate skills, attitudes and experiences for meeting the challenges of life.
Hence broadly speaking, the mission of the University is to usher Himachal Pradesh and India into the new millennium as a leading contributor in the field of education and research both in the social sciences, languages, behaviourial sciences and in science & technology.
- Integrated Himalayan Studies
- Application of Biotechnology in Forestry, Agriculture and Horticulture
- Mycorrhizal Technology, Ecology, Taxonomy, Ethno Botany, Biodiversity, Wood Science, Honeybees, Cytogenetics, Plant and Animal Physiology, etc.
- Polymer Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry.
- Computer Applications in Software Development.
- Computational Physics, Nuclear Physics, Condensed Matter Physics, Solar Neutrino Physics.
- Hydro-dynamic and Hydro-magnetic Stability, Plasma Physics, Fuzzy Algebra, Motion of Non-Newtonian Fluids.
- Sustainable Development, Poverty, Tribal Studies, Human Resource Development.
- Human Geography, Remote Sensing, Population Studies, Environment.
- Trade and Commerce, Tourism, Export Marketing, Banking, Rural Development, Agricultural and Horticultural Studies.
- Cultural Studies, Folk Literature, Handicrafts.
- Clinical Psychology, Post-colonial and Subaltern Perspectives on History, Art, Culture and Media.
- Women Studies, Canadian Studies, Teacher Education, Adult Education and Extension.
Affiliated & Constituent Colleges = 300
International Centre for Distance Education and Open Learning (ICDEOL). H.P. University Regional Centre at Dharamsala The University has both conventional and professional colleges affiliated to it. These include sixty four Government UG and PG Colleges & five Govt. Sanskrit Colleges, fifty four Governmentaided/ private colleges running UG /PG Courses, two Research Institutes, 74 Colleges of Education, six Law Colleges, two Medical Colleges, one Ayurveda College, five Dental Colleges , one Homeopathic College, twenty seven Engineering & Management Colleges, thirteen Pharmacy College, six law Colleges, University College of Business Studies, Univ.School of Legal Studies, Himachal Pradesh University Center for Evening Studies and Regional Centre.
H P U – Centre for Evening Studies (HPUCES)
The H.P. University Evening College was established in July1962 to cater the needs of conomically weaker sections. Admission to the college is restricted to employed men following the principle of earning while learning the women are exempted from this condition.
International Centre for Distance Education and Open Learning (ICDEOL)
The Himachal Pradesh University set up a Directorate of Correspondence Courses immediately after its establishment in 1970. The University has played a pioneering role in launching the programme of distance education at under graduate and post graduate level. It was the first University in India to impart instruction at under graduate and post graduate level in socialsciences, humanities, commerce and teacher training through the mode of distance education. The Directorate of Correspondence Courses gradually adopted the multi-media approach to impart instructions and has been renamed as the International Centre for Distance Education and Open Learning (ICDEOL). It is located with in the campus of the University.
H.P. University Regional Centre at Dharamsala
The Regional Centre of the University was set up in July 1992 at Dharamsala in Kangra district which is also the abode of the Dalai Lama and the exiled Tibetans. The Centre has a school of legal studies and offers post graduate courses in disciplines of science, arts and humanities.
- UGC-Academic Staff College (ASC)
- Agro Economic Research Centre (AERC)
- Bio-Informatics Centre
- Canadian Study and Development Programme (CSDP)
- Centre for Adult, Continuing Education and Extension Himachal Pradesh University.
- Centre for Australian and Newzealand Studies
- Computer Centre
- Directorate of Physical Education and Youth Welfare
- Nehru Study Centre
- Population Research Centre
- Pre Examination Coaching Centre
- Science and Technological Entrepreneurial Park (STEP)
- Tribal Studies Centre
- University Institute of Information Technology (UIIT)
- Vivekanand Centre
- Women's Development Centre
- Deen Dayala Upadhayaya Chair
- Regional filed unit of NTS - India
- Department of Chemistry
- HP University Business School(MBA)
- Department of Computer Science
- Sciences Department of Tourism & Vocational Studies (MTA)
- Department of Mathematics & Statistics
- Department of Education
- Department of Physics
- Department of Physical Education
- Department of Bio Sciences
- Department of Biotechnology
- Department of Law
- Department of Economics
- Department of English
- Department of Geography
- Department of Hindi
- Department of History D
- epartment of Modern European and Foreign
- Department of Journalism and Languages Mass Communication
- Department of Sanskrit
- Department of Political Science
- Department of Performing Arts
- Department of Psychology
- Department of Visual Arts
- Department of Public Administration
- Department of Buddhist Studies
- Department of Sociology
- Department of Electronics
- Department of Yoga Studies (non-functional)
- Department of Commerce
The admission to most of the courses (both PG and Diploma/certificate level) in the University is regulated on the basis of merit in Entrance Test.
The criteria and procedure for admission to a specific course is available on the web-site of the University, i.e. www.hpuniv.nic.in